The LSSICE applies to any type of file or device that is downloaded to a user's terminal equipment in order to store data that can be updated and recovered by the entity responsible for its installation. A cookie is one of those files of general use that we will generically call cookies.
Cookies (in Spanish, galletas) are small text files sent to a browser from a web server to record user activity on a website so that information can be retrieved later while browsing the different pages that are connected to the server that installed them.
The cookies they usually store technical information, personal preferences, personalization of content, usage statistics, links to social networks, access to user accounts, etc.
Types of cookies
The cookies are then classified according to a series of categories. However, it is necessary to keep in mind that the same cookie can be included in more than one category.
According to the entity that manages them
- Own cookies: They are those that are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: They are those that are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself, but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they are not considered proprietary cookies.
According to the length of time they remain activated
According to the length of time they remain activated in the terminal equipment we can distinguish:
- Session cookies: They are a type of cookie designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only interesting to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of purchased products).
- Persistent cookies: They are a type of cookie in which the data is stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed during a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to its purpose
According to the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies are processed, we can distinguish between:
- Technical cookies: They are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist in it such as, for example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access to parts with restricted access, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the purchase process of an order, carry out the request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during navigation, store content for the distribution of videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: They are those that allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user's terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which the service is accessed, the regional configuration from where you access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: They are those that allow the person responsible for them, the monitoring and analysis of the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the websites, applications or platforms and to create browsing profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in function of the analysis of the data of use made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: They are those that allow the management, in the most effective way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where applicable, the publisher has included in a web page, application or platform from which it provides the requested service based on criteria such as the content edited or the frequency in which the announcements are shown.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: They are those that allow the management, in the most effective way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the publisher has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided. These cookies store information on the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to show advertising based on it.
How to disable cookies in the main web browsers
What happens if cookies are not accepted?
Rejecting cookies can prevent access to personalized content and services.